topic XAVIER CLUB FOOTBALL SHOP 24
[Forum Announcements]
nickgyp
March 16, 2024, 09:52:32 AM
topic Update
[General Discussion]
Bruce
March 14, 2024, 09:35:30 AM

Author Topic: Soccer draws 35K to Nippert  (Read 4492 times)

Offline nickgyp

• Superstar
Soccer draws 35K to Nippert
« on: July 17, 2016, 07:02:21 PM »
I am not a soccer fan even though at the age of 35 yrs old, I for the first time played soccer on a coed team that featured college players and former high school players. Gained a greater appreciation for the skill set needed to play the sport (I had never played the game). Needless to say: I did not have those skills. Having said that, I still don't get the allure as a spectator sport. Little scoring and not nearly the pace of hockey. I could really care less if the Cincinnati team succeeds but I can remember Xavier-UC football games at Nippert including  a Xavier wins over a Clem Turner led Bearcat squad  (X led by DB Steve Bailey)as well as the Muskie win in 1972  spearheaded by  Tim Dydo (QB) and Bob Ries & Rick Case linebacker tandem. UC featured Evan Jolitz who had transferred from Xavier to UC. Don't think either game attracted 35K. Love the memories and really miss Xavier football. Soccer at Nippert? Man, times have changed!

Offline Bruce

• Administrator
Re: Soccer draws 35K to Nippert
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 07:28:17 AM »
I was at the FC Cincinnati vs. Crystal Palace game.  Lot of fun.  Even though I've never played soccer, lately I've gotten into English Premier League football.  I do like their structure of the bottom three teams in each league drop back one level while the top three move up, with EPL being the top tier.  The team that won the championship last year, Leicester, was in danger of being relegated the prior year and had recently been down a level, maybe even two levels in the last 5 or 6 years.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:41:31 PM by Bruce »

Offline nickgyp

• Superstar
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 05:45:44 PM »
Bruce: I have heard that the fans who attend these games at Nippert enjoy the matches. I would probably only see the ghost of Clem Turner being tackled for a safety by a tough XU defense in the sixties.

Offline wiskyblandi1

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 01:17:02 AM »
FC Cincinnati vs. Crystal Palace is a game I remember very well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal