topic Wistful/wishful thinking
[General Discussion]
nickgyp
September 03, 2021, 09:14:10 AM
topic 75 views and "veteran savvy"
[General Discussion]
nickgyp
July 24, 2021, 08:30:01 AM

Author Topic: New Theme  (Read 8752 times)

Offline Bruce

• Administrator
New Theme
« on: July 10, 2009, 12:15:58 PM »
I've added a new theme.  If you notice any problems, please let me know.

Offline nickgyp

• Superstar
Re: New Theme
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 05:35:32 PM »
Bruce:

I guess I like what I am used to as I am sort of a traditionalist but what's with the hemet design? It's not that it looks bad but I prefer the present one that the team is using. I do not know if it is a problem to replicate. In the scheme of things it is not really important.

I have been in touch with Coach Powers about Moeller High School having Danny Abramowicz speak at a football retreat at Grailville in Loveland on the last Friday in July. Coach would love to meet him and get arguably Xavier's greatest football player on board with the club team. Coach Powers will let me know if that can be done.

I will keep you all posted.

Offline Bruce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 07:24:10 AM »
The helmet is the only image I've got right now.  If someone has a better one, I can certainly use it.  Just attach is to a post.  You can change the theme to the default in your User Profile, if that's the one you like.

It would be great to get Danny Abramowicz involved, or at least have him meet with the team.  I vaguely really remember watching him play at X (I would have been under 10).

Offline Bruce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 11:55:25 AM »
OK, I've got a new helmet image.  Is this the same as the current helmets?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 05:29:07 PM by Bruce »

Offline nickgyp

• Superstar
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 07:22:24 PM »
Bruce:

The helmet is right on the mark; nicely done. I have not heard back from coach Powers re Abramowicz but I saw him play with Carroll Williams at QB in 1966. I was only 12 but these two were something else. Williams was a rarity in that he was an African-American behind center (which was not common back in that decade). Not particularly big at 5'11 but he could scramble as well as throw a nice pass.

Abramowicz was about 6'1 (if that) and not very fast but if the ball got near him, he caught it. Great hands. The Saints drafted him in the 17th round but cut him after camp. Only problem: Abramowicz refused to leave and he played 7-8 seasons in the NFL with New Orleans and later the 49ers with whom he once held the NFL record for most consecutive games with at least one pass caught.

Agreed: it would be nice to get him on board!!!

Offline NiceSpiral

• Reserve
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 09:05:25 PM »
Helmet looks great, gentlemen, and I love the football logo near the bottom of the Home page (www.xu.edu/football)... Sorry if that's old news by this point -- I've been off for the spring & summer...
Nick Gyp, as always, love your input and (amazing) recollections!  Thanks for giving us yet a bit more of the great stuff that is Xavier football history (and, my hope, harbingers of yet more great things to come)...   Any new word on that end of July football retreat?   Sounds like a terrific idea!    All best wishes to the team and Coaches and lead supporters as Fall approaches...   Go Musketeers!!!    NS

Bruce:

The helmet is right on the mark; nicely done. I have not heard back from coach Powers re Abramowicz but I saw him play with Carroll Williams at QB in 1966. I was only 12 but these two were something else. Williams was a rarity in that he was an African-American behind center (which was not common back in that decade). Not particularly big at 5'11 but he could scramble as well as throw a nice pass.

Abramowicz was about 6'1 (if that) and not very fast but if the ball got near him, he caught it. Great hands. The Saints drafted him in the 17th round but cut him after camp. Only problem: Abramowicz refused to leave and he played 7-8 seasons in the NFL with New Orleans and later the 49ers with whom he once held the NFL record for most consecutive games with at least one pass caught.

Agreed: it would be nice to get him on board!!!

Offline nickgyp

• Superstar
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 02:56:59 PM »
Spiral:

The retreat is for Moeller High School footballers and Abramowicz is the guest speaker. While he was a standout both collegiately and professionally, Abramowicz is now active in promoting the Catholic faith particularly geared towards young male adults (ie, he is on ESTN network with a religious show that follows a Sports Center format; and he has attended/spoken at Catholic Mens" Conferences, etc.) The football retreat is supposed to be to show the high schoolers how to live in a Christian lifestyle. I only learned about it via a Xavier alumni newsletter which listed a Moeller High School contact (so it may be open for others to attend although I am not sure of that fact), I do know Coach Powers really wants to meet Abramowicz but as of this writing, I do not know if such an arrangement has occurred.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal