topic XAVIER CLUB FOOTBALL SHOP 24
[Forum Announcements]
nickgyp
March 16, 2024, 09:52:32 AM
topic Update
[General Discussion]
Bruce
March 14, 2024, 09:35:30 AM

Author Topic: Wilmington game: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly  (Read 5908 times)

Offline nickgyp

• Superstar
Wilmington game: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
« on: November 05, 2006, 08:46:45 PM »
Sorry to report that the Muskies went down 13-7 in OT but as the topic title suggests there were some positives and negatives but before I comment on them, let me recap the game.

1st Q:

Ended 0-0. Wilmington kicks off. Muskie offense was sporadic; defense
was very good.

2nd Q.:

Ended XU up 7-0 after defense forces a turnover. Not sure to term it a fumble or an interception except that a lineman wrests the ball away from Wilmington QB and returns it some 40 yds for a TD. PAT good.

3rd Q.:

Xavier kicks off and holds Wilmington. Forces punt and XU gets ball inside Wilmington's 50.  Running play nets some 25-30yds. and despite hitting end zone, ball carrier marked out on Wilmington's 2yd line. 1st and goal. QB sneak nets no yards; running plays lose yardage and 4th and G from the 5, running play stopped. Wilmington holds. Xavier "D" remains solid and quarter ends 7-0 Muskies,

4th Q.:

Xavier defense continues to hold Wilmington but offense relies on passing game since running game not established. Completions were made but XU forced to punt from their 35 yd line. Low snap; blocked punt and Wilmington sets up on X 25 yd line. Running play gets Quakers to 5 yd. ine; 1st and G. Defense holds one play but Wilmington QB finds receiver in the front of the end zone. PAT good. 7-7. Regualtiion ends and Coach Powers advises that there is no OT. Quaker coaches want OT; Muskies players say go for it.

OT:

Xavier goes first from the 25 yrd line. A QB sack forces a Xavier FG attempt from 35 yds. that looked straight enough but just fell short of croosbar. Wilmington pounds ball inside and eventaully scores on a short run. Final 13-7.

Commentary:

Hate the loss but hats off to the players and coaches for wanting OT. Disapponted for this team because they played so damn hard and looked overall so much better than the Marquette game.

The Ugly:

QB Byrnes setting up in the shotgun: the snaps were often times high and the Wilmington LB's blitz was many times not picked up by the OL or any RB. Byrnes had to run for his life on many downs. The snaps and timing are just things that practice perfects and this season has not allowed for it. The OL was not able to blow people off the line to help establish any running game so passing was a mainstay. Can't fault the linemen on this; this team just has not been able to work on strength/weights in any coordinated fashion to give them better ability to establish holes, etc. With a season under the belt; and an off season to work on condiitioning, this will naturalluy improve.

The Bad:

No running game to speak of. Wilmington blitz a lot and save for that run that carried to the Quaker 2 yd. line, Muskie running yardage gains were small. QB Byrnes got sacked a few times and the densive pressure just did not allow for long pass plays. Penalties hurt again but fortunately they didn't cost the team as badly as against Marquette.

The Good:

Anybody who saw the Marquette game was probably dismayed at the offensive execution. Of course, today's play clock worked but the Muskies eemed quite organized in getting to the line. Procedure penalties were few. Passes tended to be short yardage plays due to Wilmington's defensive pressure but one thing was clear:
Xavier has some wide-outs who can flat out catch the ball. Time and again, there were receptions made that rivaled any big-time catches you'd see elsewhere. None were for huge yardage; however, a number kept drives alive.

The defense: The Muskie defensive effort was very solid. Constant pressure on the Wilmington QB caused a number of hurries; and there were several sacks. Only late in the game was Wilmington able to establish a running game. Ouch, that 4th Q. blocked punt put the "D" in a tough spot but overall, they had an outstanding game.

FWIW:

Wilmington trainers advised me that the Wilmington team dresses 90 players for their games. While these players were JV's, they obviously benefit from whatever practice and weight training that their program offers. The effects of a short practice seaon for these Muskies shows; however, today's showing revealed that both the defense and offensive teams have made great strides.

I was on the Xavier sidelines again today. The energy and intensity exhibited by these players is tremendous. There were probably a couple hundred XU fans at the game as well as the Xavier dance team. Kudos to all who made the trek. It was a nice afternoon for football; and again, Xavier has every reason to be proud of this team. They were fun to watch and gave us plenty to cheer about.

The Mount St. Joe game should be a treat. Hell, MSJ #62 is talking smack already on OUR BOARD! That's okay because the Muskies will be ready to play!

Coach Powers, staff and players: Thanks for a great afternoon of football!!!!

Offline Bruce

• Administrator
Re: Wilmington game: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 09:22:05 PM »
Thanks for the recap, Nick.  I'm sorry I missed the game today.  We'll be there for the game against Mt. St. Joe.

Offline NiceSpiral

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 09:24:38 PM »
Nickgyp -- thanks for the detailed game coverage and insightful commentary...     Am looking forward to the MSJ rout...

WVMJR

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 01:55:25 AM »
     Sounds like everything is positive.  Congrats for a very constant effort which will produce "lots" of positives. Football is back and will slowly claw its way to success.  Now its time to blast Mt St Joe.

anxiousdad

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 12:07:09 PM »
Nick:

Thanks for the detailed game description.  How did we do as far as getting guys into the game?  Not too many subs in the Marquette game.  Hopefully, all kids get a taste of playing time before the short season ends or you may find  many not willing to pony up $200 plus next year.

MSJFootball#62

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 12:15:50 AM »
All I've really got to say is bring it... if you can't move the ball against Wilmington then you surely won't move it against us... especially up the middle where I roam #61 look for me... you won't have to look hard

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal