topic Head coach posting
[General Discussion]
nickgyp
March 20, 2024, 04:07:34 PM
topic XAVIER CLUB FOOTBALL SHOP 24
[Forum Announcements]
nickgyp
March 16, 2024, 09:52:32 AM

Author Topic: Some Xavier History  (Read 3897 times)

DetroitFlyer

Some Xavier History
« on: October 25, 2007, 11:24:06 AM »
http://www.helmethut.com/Dr.Ken28.html

I ran across this on the Internet and thought some here might enjoy reading it!  ( I also found one for the Flyers, but I'm guessing that you are not too interested in that.... (LOL )

By the way, congrats on the two wins so far....

PFL someday?  I hope so, you know that all time my Flyers have a losing record to Xavier....  I want to get even and pull ahead!

Good luck the rest of the season!

Offline nickgyp

• Superstar
Re: Some Xavier History
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 05:49:44 PM »
DetroitFlyer:

I feel some kinship to you only for the reason that I graduated from UD"s School of Law in '85 but the Muskies always come first. I have visited and posted in the past on the PFL Board and Lurking Dog has posted on Musketeer Madness as well as heading up the PFL board. I think playing 1-AA football in the PFL is a valid goal seeing that UD and Morehead St. were both once Xavier football opponents.

But for now, club football has to establish itself before there would ever be consideration/support
for non-scholarship football on Victory Pkwy.. I know that I have posted on MM in the past that in 1973 X and UD played to a 28-28 tie at Corcoran Field after Greg Scwarber (Moeller '72) kicked a 55-yd field goal for the Flyers to knot the score. It was a super kick and a great game

Regarding the Helmet article, it is a terrifc read and recounts perhapss Xavier's greatest football player, WR Danny Abramowicz, who went on to NFL teams  (the Saints and 49'ers). Also note is QB, Carroll Williams, who in the mid-60's was one of the few African-American QBs in D-1 ball.
Both these two were 1st team Catholic All-Americans; and Williams could run as well as throw the ball. Hopefully, the start of club football will rekindle interest in Xavier's football history to the point that some of the archived game films in Xavier's library could be added to this site.

Last year, someone at XU culled up footage from the passage and interspersed it with club football footage and it looked great. The clip was narrated and perhaps someone could edit and narrate highlights from Xavier's past.

The Flyers host San Diego this weekend in PFL action with the visitors being undefeated and UD having lost once. Should be a fun game to watch!  I wish it was Xavier playing.

Offline Huntington Zebra

• Taxi Squad
  • Member of XU Football 1973 -- #71 Def. Tackle
    • Rivals.com MY Fan Page
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 04:59:46 PM »
Good article ---- the quote in the last line was truth in a nutshell, "a victim of escalating economics because they embodied so many of the things that were right about the game! "

I will never forget that evening as I was walking to my night class (night classes were better then 8 AM classes) and John Gompers and Richie Kase were just leaving the Student Center and gave me the news.

Now with the Club Team, is there realistic talk of bring the program back to varsity status?

Offline nickgyp

• Superstar
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 07:29:52 PM »
HZ:

Interesting question. I was a little disapponted in the attendance at the games. my hopes were that the crowds would be bigger. The Wilmington, SIUE  and Miami crowds were decent but I do think that the club team needs better promotion/awareness of its schedule. The level and intensity was definitely there and the games were fun to watch. The club program needs to continue to grow and where that leads is anybody's guess but at this point, a D-1AA non-scholarship program does not in the works.

Whether that evolves in the future is up in the air. I find myself wondering just how different this club football is from the Pioneer Football League with the likes of Dayton, Butler and Drake which all are D-1aa non-scholarship programs. THe biggest similarity is no players on scholarship and the biggest difference is the institutional backing and the number of players. PFL schools are far more organized with better resources but who is to say that the club football teams could not grow into PFL teams. SIUE and Marquette have no D-1AA programs while Miami has a scholarship football program. The latter program probably could not be a separate D-1AA program at Miami.

As I indicated, the level of football with the club teams is good and entertaining. Whether it be at the club level or a higher level, it would be nice to see these teams get even more support from their respective administrations. )I admire the fact that X's players drive to practice in their equipment and pretty much are self sufficient as far as maintaing the same but locker facilities nearby for each practice, etc. would be helpful and playing games on campus would be great for student support (i.e, rebuild the football stadium). But for now, the growth just has to be steady.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal