topic XAVIER CLUB FOOTBALL SHOP 24
[Forum Announcements]
nickgyp
March 16, 2024, 09:52:32 AM
topic Update
[General Discussion]
Bruce
March 14, 2024, 09:35:30 AM

Author Topic: Butler win over Youngstown State  (Read 2054 times)

Offline nickgyp

• Superstar
Butler win over Youngstown State
« on: September 05, 2018, 04:39:34 PM »
Yesterday, I was listening to 1560 am radio and father of a Butler player called in to describe Butler's come from behind win over YSU where the Bulldogs recovered an on-side kick to get in to position to win on a 40 yd FG. Mo Egger, a Dayton grad, was surprised to hear that odds makers placed Butler at a 35 point
disadvantage as both Butler and UD are non-scholly PFL members (and why would Vegas care). YSU is scholarship football so the upset was huge. I recall the Polish Rifle, Ron Jaworski leading the YSU Penguins against XU on Victory Parkway. Did manage to see some of Holy Cross at Colgate on Saturday and enjoying it. Spoke with former clubber WR Danny Deters yesterday and we both said how much we miss club football. Still don't understand how these other schools do it and X cannot.

Offline Bruce

• Administrator
Re: Butler win over Youngstown State
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 06:05:45 PM »
The other schools probably have a champion who pushes to keep the club program alive.  We don’t have that at X.

Offline nickgyp

• Superstar
Re: Butler win over Youngstown State
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 11:11:00 AM »
Bruce:

I imagine that is true. But I have the belief that if Fr. Graham had really wanted the club program to prosper then more of an administration effort would have happened. Dr. Heidt's recent contribution to the recreation center complex and Charles Gallagher's donation for the recent new student center show that there are  benefactors out there. When the owner of the Chicago Bears was at Xavier a few years ago extolling football and Catholic education, one would think he could have been approached. Yesterday, Bucknell hosted Sacred Heart University at Christy Mathewson stadium (named after a former Bucknell football alum who went on to a Hall of Fame baseball career as a pitcher). The stadium was built in 1924 for what now would be a cost of roughly $3.7 million dollars and after a 1989 renovation seats 13,100. A nice stadium that seemed fairly empty on the far side. Not sure what either school pays for football but Bucknell is a Patrit League School and Sacred hear a NEAC school so I think atheltic scholarships are minimal if at all. Sacred Hear traveled to Lewisburg, Pa. from Connecticut. Somehow, it gets done.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal