topic XAVIER CLUB FOOTBALL SHOP 24
[Forum Announcements]
nickgyp
March 16, 2024, 09:52:32 AM
topic Update
[General Discussion]
Bruce
March 14, 2024, 09:35:30 AM

Author Topic: Not my imagination: Xavier beat Morehead 26-7 on September 9, 1972  (Read 1158 times)

Offline nickgyp

• Superstar
I was hoping someone had a recollection of this game but so far no takers. Nonetheless, aside from a 1973 Morehead football program that alluded to the Xavier win in the previous year, my research did find the following from Morehead news release archives which mentions the Muskie win. Why XU has no record of this game is beyond me. I may be hallucinating in hoping for Xavier to play football again but I feel somewhat vindicated.

The game is mentioned on the following dates: August 8, 23, 25 (mentions coach Cecchini); September 1 and 9 (game recap). In the recap, no Xavier players are named but the offense garnered more than 300 yards. I looked at Xavier football results for 1972, a season showing a final record of 2-8 (wins over UC and Marshall) but no mention of Morehead State game. That site shows Cecchini only won 7 games at XU over two years but another site indicates he won 8 games (including the five in 1973) but also without mention of the Morehead win. Again, Coach Cecchini seemed to have the program's fortunes heading in the right direction but c'est la vie. But in a time when wins were few, every one should be counted.

https://scholarworks.moreheadstate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1069&context=msu_press_release_archive

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal